By Adamu Muhammad Dodo
is now six years after the death of Alhaji Sulaiman Abubakar the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha, the Ubandoma Mubi, northern senatorial district of Adamawa state, northeast Nigeria.
The Periscope Retrospection
For a reflection, a tribute to Ubandoma of blessed memory warrants lifting from the article I wrote published in The Scope of March 21-27, 2014 edition: Exactly six years ago with the following title and the following piece:
Innaa Lillah Wa Innaa Ilaihirraaji’un! From Allah we come and unto Him is our return.
It is considered as Madinah of Adamawa, not because of its indigenes being peaceful, loving, accommodating and hospitable to strangers.
Not because the town has sceneries or if you like, some salient features typical of the Madinah model such as the date palms in every house one visits.
Not just because of a big attractive Mosque at the centre of the town some few steps to the district head palace.
It was really not in a desert though, the town is however surrounded by mountains and river Benue also passes through from Cameroun for which it shares boarder.
It grows some fruits and breeds some animals; both domestic and the wild.
Little wonder, that apart from scholasticism, the town is said to have been blessed with herdsmen, hunters and farmers who live in mutual harmony respecting each other’s territory by understanding differences, without any clash. That is beside the point.
Jalingo-Maiha is said to have adopted the Madinah model in so many respects.
A visitor to the town for a research, once reported his experience that on arrival, no one was willing to attend to him at any of the shops he went to buy something with the adhan call to prayers.
“The reason advanced to me was that it is forbidden for any transaction to take place with adhan call to prayers. I should have to wait, I was told, till after prayers.
“You see the faithful heading to the Mosque to pray in congregation.
“I’ve not had such experience in so many places I visited; not even my hometown where there are also Muslims.
“In fact, not in my place of work where Muslims, for the most part, do not value prayer time than earning a living.
“The district head, I’m told, did not pray in his palace alone. He joined the five daily congregational prayers at the Mosque with his subjects, toe to toe, shoulder to shoulder and listened submissively, attentively to sermon after prayer without any air about pomposity and arrogant pride.
“May the soul of the District Head rest in peace.” from the researcher’s manuscript.
“His Royal Highness the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha, the Ubandoma Mubi, Alhaji Abubakar Suleiman is dead. He died today, being Wednesday, March 19 2014.
“Corpse lives Federal Medical Centre, Yola for Maiha,” A town crier or a media practitioner would make the public announcement.
Ubandoma was over eighty years of age and had ruled for about fifty-three years. He was survived by over fifty children and so many grand children.
The crowd of sympathisers and mourners that trooped to the district’s head palace for burial in the morning of Thursday, speaks volume of Alhaji Abubakar Suleiman’s leadership.
Someone puts it as simply “a servant leader who treated everybody equally and was not consumed by greed and materialism, such that he would be manipulated by being a bought-over, conscience-seller, bent on betraying his subjects on any political bargain or to any criminal cocooned in the regalia of politics a for selfish interest.”
There were the presents of Mubi Emirate represented by His Royal Highness the Emir of Mubi with his entourage, the Adamawa Emirate was also said to have had representation.
There were those others from Cameroun Republic some of whom were from a part of Fombina dynasty.
One could also notice the presence of Maiha, Mubi North and South and others from other local government authorities within the state, in addition to the presence of the Adamawa State Government.
The entire children of the monarch are said to have acquired appreciable level of education. “Most of whom are degree and postgraduate certificate holders, who are contributing immensely, meaningfully to the development of the country in academy, civil service, security and business.
None of the Ubandoma children is reported as being unproductive.
Even though there are people speaking different languages in Maiha local government area, Fulfulde language seems to be identified as the common lingua franca, followed by Hausa language.
The people in Maiha are said to be united by inter marriages such that a misfortune that befalls one, invariably affects all. Hence the death of the district head affects the entire community.
While the monarch’s stewardship is saluted for having none of his subjects found in any insurgency saga, for carrying his people along and for treating them equally, we pray that may Almighty Allah reward him of the good things he has done and must have left behind, forgive his mistakes, bless his family and grant him jannatul firdaus. Peace.
Politics Beyond The Mourning: Jalingo-Maiha Remains Without A District Head 6 Years After Death
Former governor Murtala Hammanyero Nyako the Admiral in war, agriculture and politics, Baba Maimangoro, was reported to have assured that it was among the heirs that one would be appointed as district head, to take after the father.
Fastforward: Former governor Bindow has in action, expressed that Baba Maimangoro has got it all wrong that the heirs to the district head of Jalingo-Maiha and in fact, anyone around the monarchy in Maiha, would not reclaim the stool.
“I’m the governor, I can do and undo. I can decide who to give power to the district but not to the heirs of Ubandoma,” Bindow’s action seemed to have expressed.
Nyako ruled by the law and conscious of the fact that Bn Fodio Islamic expansion flag was hoisted in Maiha, brought by Bubayero of Gombe prior to the plebiscite.
Bubayero is the root of Hammanyero for which the Nyakos belonged. That takes another story.
Bindow used coersion against the country’s Constitution to corrupt the monarchy in Jalingo-Maiha, where money, Mosque desecration and anarchy can’t influence the legitimacy to the throne for a fascist rule.
The heirs to Ubandoma and those around the Monarchy in Jalingo-Maiha challenged Bindow as a governor, before the law, for the distruction of moral sensibility and an attempt to destroy the monarchical order with the obnoxiously falsified story of unfounded history for a new myth about the monarchy in Jalingo-Maiha.
Bindow, a politician was reported to have insinuated, was told that by destroying the Monarchy in Jalingo-Maiha, he would succeed himself in the 2019 race to Dougirei Hill.
“That’s why he failed to approve the appointment of Barr. Mahmud Abubakar Sulaiman as the legitimate district head even when the court order has spelt out for him to do so.
“Bindow simply ignored, by technically strengthening Idi to go into unhealthy romance with the contempt of court order; effectively playing the impostor,” the politician would explain.
It however turned out a reverse to be the case. In spite of his high heels, Dougirei Hill eventually become to Bindow, a romance with the mirage.
Governor Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri
was said to have received commendation to the point of ovation, during the inaugural state executive council meeting, with then, the permanent secretaries at the banquet hall of the government house in Yola, when he directed that due process should be respected and that the court order should be honoured with respect to the judgement on the district headship of Jalingo-Maiha.
The SSG was equally reported to have expressed his disappointment while addressing one Mary Kadzai the former permanent secretary, chieftaincy affairs, for arrogating to herself the multiple positions of the SSG and the governor, to interfere, by siding with an imposter with a view to frustrating both the court and the executive orders on the district headship of Jalingo-Maiha.
Being a declarative judgement, stay of execution pending appeal judgement ought not to be observed. Barr. Mahmud Abubakar Sulaiman should have been approved as the district head of Jalingo-Maiha
I wrote a report on account of the court judgement that declared the legitimacy of Mahmud the heir to Ubandoma as the district head of Jalingo-Maiha. It was published in the July 25, 2018 edition of the Periscope with the following title and report:
Monarchy In Maiha: Court Hearing, Ruling, Judgement
Having had the case filed before the court of competent jurisdiction as was received at the High Court of Justice Adamawa State, Nigeria on August 29, 2017.
Having had the case presented; legal arguments entertained and evidences tendered without any plea for adjournment from both parties about eight months later on April 17, 2018.
The plaintiff Barr. Mahmud Abubakar the
heir to Ubandoma Mubi the late District Head of Jalingo-Maiha and the defendants being the executive governor of Adamawa state who appointed the challenged district head of Jalingo-Maiha, the Mubi Emirate Council even though the Emirate Council has presented the name of the plaintiff to the governor of Adamawa state for approval, Yarima Wakili Usman Shehu
whom the governor appointed as District head of Maiha without having any link by genealogy, to the family of Ubandoma the late District Head of Jalingo-Maiha and the Attorney General of Adamawa State.
Suffices to say, as the hearing would reveal, that, the plaintiff Mahmud Abubakar the heir to Ubandoma a prince of Jalingo-Maiha District, who was duly eligible for appointment into the stool of the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha District that was vacant, applied with others to be appointed into the office.
The village heads under Jalingo-Maiha District, under the supervision of the representatives of the Mubi Emirate Council, conducted the selection exercise and thereafter the report was sent to the Mubi Emirate Council by the representative for deliberation and recommendation of one person from the candidates for approval, by the governor of Adamawa State for appointment to fill the vacant stool.
After the statutory role of the Council to deliberate on the report and recommend one of the candidates for approval as the District Head, the Council recommended the plaintiff- Prince Mahmud Abubakar- and forwarded his name to the governor for approval.
Governor Bindow, upon the receipt of the name, instead of giving approval to same, went ahead and forwarded the name of the 3rd defendant- Yarima Wakili Usman Shehu known as Idi- as the person approved for appointment to fill the vacant stool.
Peeved, the plaintiff- Prince Mahmud Abubakar- initiated suit against the defendants- listed above- seeking the determination of the questions crafted in the originating summons as well as the consequential reliefs contained therein, pursuant to Order 1 Rule 6 of the Adamawa State High Court (Civil procedure) Rules, 2013.
The relevant snippet of the originating summons reproduced thus:
1. Whether by the combined effect of the unambiguous provisions of section 7 (2)(a)(b)(c)(d)and (e) of the Adamawa State Creation of District Law 1992 (as amended), a candidate not recommended by the Emirate Council and same sent to the governor for his approval can attract any valid approval by the governor?
2. Whether taking into cognisance the provisions aforestated, the governor of Adamawa state can legally approve the name of the 3rd defendant- Yarima Wakili Usman Shehu- as the district head of Jalingo-Maiha District, Maiha local government of Adamawa state when he was not the person recommended by the 2nd defendant- Mubi Emirate Council- and forwarded to him for approval?
3. Whether taking into cognisance the provision of section 7(2)(e) of the Adamawa State Creation of Districts law, 1992 (as amended), it is not ultra vires for the governor to approve the name of the 3rd defendant- Yarima Wakili Usman Shehu- the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha District, Maiha local government of Adamawa state when he was not the person recommended by the 2nd defendant- Mubi Emirate Council- and forwarded to him for approval?
By the summons, if the questions supra are resolved in favour of the plaintiff- Barr Mahmud Abubakar heir to Ubandoma the late District Head of Jalingo-Maiha- respectfully sought inter alia thus:
1. AN ORDER DECLARING the approval of the 3rd defendant- Yarima Wakili Usman Shehu- by the governor of Adamawa State as the district head of Jalingo-Maiha District, Maiha LGA who was not the person recommended by the 2nd defendant- Mubi Emirate Council- as wrongful, illegal, null and void.
2. AN ORDER DECLARING the plaintiff- Mahmud Abubakar- whose name was forwarded to the Governor of Adamawa State for Approval by the 2nd defendant- Mubi Emirate Council- as the proper person to be approved for appointment as the district head of Jalingo-Maiha District.
3. AN ORDER DEEMING the plaintiff- Mahmud Abubakar- who was the person recommended by the 2nd defendant- Mubi Emirate Council- for approval by the Governor of Adamawa state as the person approved to be the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha District by the Governor, OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE:
4. AN ORDER DIRECTING the Governor of Adamawa state to approve the plaintiff- Mahmud Abubakar- as the proper person for the appointment as the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha District, Maiha LGA
5. AN ORDER OF PERPETUAL INJUNCTION restraining the 2nd defendant- Mubi Emirate Council- from recognising/accepting or taking any step, including the turbuning of the 3rd defendant- Yarima Wakili Usman Shehu- in furtherance of the approval of the Governor of Adamawa state contained in the letter dated the 7th day of August, 2017
6. AN ORDER OF PERPETUAL INJUNCTION restraining 3rd defendant- Yarima Wakili Usman Shehu- parading himself as the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha District, Maiha LGA.
7. AND for such Order or further Orders as this Honourable Court may deem fit and necessary to make in the circumstance of this matter.
Legal documents and relevant cases were presented before the jury in justification of the challenge and defence exhaustively.
However, the ruling was adjourned to the next sitting with date to be communicated.
Court Ruling, Judgement:
The plaintiff and the defendants were invited for the passing of judgement about three months after the hearing on July 13, 2018
The Periscope Global correspondent on legal matters, was there to obtain the following court ruling:
In the High Court of Adamawa State of Nigeria
In the Yola Judicial Division
Holden at Yola
Before Her Lordship Hon. Justice Hafsat A Abdurrahman (Judge)
This 13 Day of July, 2018
Suit No. ADSY/111/2017
Mahmud Abubakar- Plaintiff
1. The Executive Governor AD State
2. Mubi Emirate Council
3. Yarima Wakili Usman Shehu
4. Attorney General AD State- Defendants
Hon. Justice Hafsat A.A.
1. Going by the terms, tenure and spirit of the relevant and applicable law under consideration, the answer to question one (1) is in the negative- No.
2. Similarly, question two (2) is also answered in the negative- No.
3. The answer to question three (3) as couched and raised, is in the positive- Yes.
Accordingly therefore, the originating summons succeeds.
The questions are hereby resolved in favour of the plaintiff. I hereby make the following declarations/orders:
1. That the approval of the 3rd defendant by the Governor of Adamawa State as the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha District, Maiha Local Government Area, who was not the person recommended by the 2nd Defendant, is wrongful, illegal, null and void.
2. That the plaintiff whose name was forwarded to the Governor of Adamawa State for approval by the 2nd Defendant, is the proper person to be approved for appointment as the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha District.
3. It is hereby ordered that the Governor of Adamawa State (1st Defendant), should approve the plaintiff as the proper person for appointment as the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha District, Maiha Local Government Area.
4. An order of perpetual injunction is hereby given, restraining the 3rd Defendant from parading himself as the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha District, Maiha Local Government Area of Adamawa State.
Issued at Yola, under the hand of the Hon. Judge and seal of Court this 19th day of July, 2018.
Hindatu W. Lamorde Esq.
The judgement is Declaratory not Executory: The Court Order should be strictly adhered to:
Barr. Mahmud Abubakar Sulaiman should simply be appointed as the legitimate District Head of Jalingo-Maiha District.
The newsmen sought to know whether or not the judgement was appealable.
Having expressed his gratitude to Allah SWT for eventually revealing the truth, exposing falsehood in its avowed conspiracy in the attempt to legitimising the undeserving to the stool, the plaintiff Mahmud Abubakar whom the judgement favoured, incidentally, a Barrister at Law with also a master degree in Law and a lecturer, explained that the judgement was “Declaratory” it could therefore not be suspended pending the determination of appeal as should have been the experience with “Executory judgement”.
“In this case, the court’s judgement is final living no room for an appeal to have accommodated any air about stay of execution pending another ruling,” Barr. Mahmud the court approved district head of Jalingo-Maiha would say.
Attempts to get the response of Yarima Wakili Usman Shehu Idi the governor Bindow appointed, the court denounced district head of Jalingo-Maiha to the judgement were efforts in futility.
Maiha went agog in celebration for three days like Eid days with the announcement of court judgement.
It would appear that not only in Maiha but also beyond, were joined in celebrating the victory for justice.
Summarily, the court of competent jurisdiction, having an incorruptible, principled and fearless lady as a judge, eventually concurred with people’s choice, the God’s choice.
Any attempt, by whatever form of inducement, to lure the lady Judge of integrity, would land the irresponsible to jail.
Prince Mahmud Abubakar Suleiman the legitimate heir, is now the new, court approved district head of Jalingo-Maiha.
The celebrating gathering who welcomed the victory in Mahmud, having been returned as district head, were the electorates to decide 2019 election in Maiha against the so-called stakeholders who wanted to have disordered the order relating to the monarchy in Maiha for anarchy-haha
Although, the judgement was declared on Friday July 13, 2018, appointment letter to be signed by the governor of Adamawa state to that effect, the Periscope Global Investigation would reveal, as at the time of the press, was yet to be served to the new court approved district head of Jalingo-Maiha.
This makes the district without a head for about 12 days and still counting.
Therewas the appeal against the High Court that legitimised Barr Mahmud as the District Head of Jalingo-Maiha. However, the appellant, having realised the emptiness of his prayers, was said to sabotaging the hearing with fraudulently avoidable mistake as the Periscope has reported in the early hours of today.
To Alhaji Abubakar Sulaiman the late District Head of Jalingo-Maiha we pray rest in peace.
To the good people of Jalingo-Maiha, we say remain patient. It is coming to an end; Peace!