- The Periscope Literati
8. Death Toll
11. Face mask
14. Herd Immunity
19. Index Case
20. Infection rate
22. Mutate or mutation
23. Mechanical Ventilator
24. Mortality Rate
27. Oxygen Mask
29. Panic buying
32. Respiratory Illness
33. Social Distancing
36. Temperature Check
37. Test Positive or Negative
38. Travel Restrictions
Coronavirus Related Definitions
1. Coronavirus – is a group of related viruses that causes disease in mammals and birds. In humans, it causes respiratory tract infection that ranges from mild to lethal.
2. Covid 19 – is a new illness that can affect your airways and lungs and is caused by Coronavirus
3. SARS – is an acronym for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. It is a viral respiratory disease which occurred in 2000 to 2002.
4. MERS – is an acronym for Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome. It is a viral respiratory infection caused by MERS Coronavirus. It happened in 2012
5. Ambulance – a vehicle that is equipped to take sick or injured people to hospital, especially in emergencies.
6. Symptomatic – A person showing symptoms of a particular disease or illness. And Asymptomatic – a person showing no symptoms but may or may not likely have a disease or illness.
7. CDC – Centre for Disease Control. A Government agency that handles a Pandemic.
8. Death Toll – Total number of death during an incidence like a pandemic
9. Droplets – moisture expelled from the upper respiratory tract through sneezing or coughing
10. Epicentre – is a place that has the highest level of activity.
11. Face mask – a protective mask covering the nose and mouth or part of your face to prevent you from breathing bad air or from spreading or getting germs
12. Furlough – leave of absence. During pandemic it is a forced leave of absence with or without pay
13. Gloves – a covering for the hand worn for protection against cold or germs
14. Herd Immunity – allowing a section of the population to catch a disease with a view to developing immunity which can be passed on to the larger society
15. ICU – Intensive Care Unit. A unit in the hospital handling critically ill patients
16. Incubating – period of time when an infectious disease develop before symptoms appear
17. Isolation – separating oneself from family and friends so as not to spread infectious disease
18. Infodemic – an excessive amount of information concerning a problem
19. Index Case – the first identified case in a place particularly infectious disease
20. Infection rate – the risk of infection in a population
21. Lockdown – restricting access instituted as a measure to halt the spread of disease or as a security measure
22. Mutation – the changing of the structure of the gene resulting in a variant form that may be transmitted to subsequent generations
23. Ventilator – is a machine that provides Mechanical ventilation by moving breathable air into and out of the lungs
24. Mortality Rate – the number of deaths in a given area or period or from a particular cause
25. Novel Virus – is a new strain that has not been identified in humans before
26. Outbreak – a sudden occurrence of something unwelcome such as disease
27. Oxygen Mask – is a mask that provides a method to transfer oxygen gas from a storage tank to the lungs
28. Pandemic – of a disease – prevalent over a whole country or the world
29. Panic buying – the action of buying large quantities of essentials or commodities due to sudden fears of forthcoming shortages or pandemics.
30. PPE – Personal Protective Equipments – is a protective equipment or garment designed to protect the wearer’s body from injury or infection
31. Quarantine – a state of isolation in which people who have been exposed to infectious or contagious disease are kept
32. Respiratory Illness – a type of illness that affects the lungs and other parts of the respiratory system
33. Social Distancing – measures taken to prevent the spread of contagious diseases by maintaining a physical distance (at least 2 metres) between people
34. Surge – a sudden increase in numbers of people affected by a disease
35. Symptoms – a physical or mental feature which is regarded as indicating a condition of a disease
36. Temperature Check – finding out the specific degree of hotness or coldness of the body measured by a thermometer
37. Antibody Test – a test that looks to see whether your immune system has responded to an infection
38. Travel Restrictions – an official rule that limits travel
39. WHO – World Health Organisation – a specialised agency of the United Nation responsible for International Public Health
40. Wuhan – is the capital of China’s central Hubei province with a population of about 11 million people. The disease Covid19 originated from Wuhan in 2019.