FG announces plan to ban Al-majiri system, other groups
The federal government under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari will soon ban the Al-majiri system operating especially in the northern part of Nigeria, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Babagana Monguno, has said. Monguno made the disclosure on Thursday, June 20, adding that some other groups would face same proscription.
It was reported that the NSA spoke with State House correspondents at the end of a meeting chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa Abuja. According to him, the Al-majiri groups are becoming a problem to the country.
While noting that education was the right of every child, Monguno said insecurity in the country was fuelled by unemployment, poverty and increasing population.
He said the $1 billion approved for security in 2017 was meant for the military, but that he was not aware if the money had been disbursed.